We're saving lives, building careers, and reimagining healthcare. We can't wait to grow alongside you.
Job Profile Summary
This role focuses on performing health assessments, running diagnostic tests, prescribing medication and creating treatment plans as well as providing health and wellness education to patients. In addition, this role focuses on performing the following Advanced Practice related duties: Under the direction of a physician, provides health care services to patients, ensuring optimal patient care . A professional individual contributor role that may direct the work of other lower level professionals or manage processes and programs . The majority of time is spent overseeing the design, implementation or delivery of processes, programs and policies using specialized knowledge and skills typically acquired through advanced education . A senior level role that requires advanced knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education and work experience . Typically responsible for: managing projects / processes, working independently with limited supervision, coaching and reviewing the work of lower level professionals, resolving difficult and sometimes complex problems.
Reports to the Director of the Surgical ICU and the Senior Physician Assistant and is responsible for the care of patients admitted to the Surgical Intensive Care Unit under the direction of the attending physicians under the rules and regulations of Massachusetts governing physician assistant practice . Under the direction of the Director of the Surgical Intensive Care Unit (or designee) the position will evaluate and manage surgical patients admitted to the Surgical ICU, perform bedside diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, manage ventilators, prepare patients for emergent surgery, arrange transfer of patients to wards, and provide patient and family education. The position assumes responsibility for critically ill patients in the absence of the attending physician in accordance with service policies and protocols.
Minimum Qualifications :
1. Bachelor's degree.
2. Graduate of an approved Physician Assistant Program
3 . Physician's Assistant Certification within one (1) year of hire.
4. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
5. One (1) year of Physician Assistant experience.
6. Eligible for state and federal controlled substances registration.
Preferred Qualifications :
1. Two (2) years of Physician Assistant experience.
Duties and Responsibilities : The duties and responsibilities listed below are intended to describe the general nature of work and are not intended to be an all-inclusive list . Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
1. Obtains a detailed medical history and performs a comprehensive physical examination of all patients admitted to the Surgical ICU.
2. Performs preoperative preparation and postoperative care of patients and reinforces information presented by the attending physician to the patient and/or family as necessary . Obtains informed consent for critical care procedures . Coordinates care of various general surgical services, orders necessary diagnostic tests, consultations, and procedures as indicated or requested by the attending physician.
3. Performs postoperative management of critically ill surgical patients . Manages patients on ventilators and on dialysis, and patients with Swan-Gins catheters.
4. Performs bedside diagnostic and therapeutic invasive procedures on critically ill patients as indicated or directed by the attending physician, including but not limited to, management of A-V fistulae, insertion of arterial, central venous lines, and Swan-Ganz catheters, wound debridement, and endotracheal intubation.
5. Performs basic and advanced cardiac life support procedures as necessary and directs these efforts until the arrival of a senior physician.
6. Prepares ICU patients for transfer or discharge, including patient and family teaching, continuing care and rehabilitation arrangements, writes discharge prescriptions, and confirms primary care or referring physician follow-up.
7. Prescribes medications for patients in accordance with service policies and/or attending physician's instructions.
8. Under the direction of the surgical intensivist and the attending surgeon, executes a wide range of management plans for Surgical ICU patients.
9. Dictates formal discharge, transfer, and death summaries for Surgical ICU patients for the attending physician's review and signature.
10. Participates in the education of students and residents assigned to the surgical services.
11. Performs clinical data collection and analysis, and participates in clinical research supervised by the Director of Maintain a collaborative, team relationships with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the working groups achievement of goals, and to help foster a positive work environment.
12. This position reports administratively to the Senior Physician Assistant of the Department of Surgery and the Administrative Manager of the Department.
13. This position reports clinically to the Director of the Surgical Intensive Care Unit.
14. Works closely with Surgical ICU patients and their families.
15. Works as a member of the surgical team including attending surgeons, physicians, residents, nurses, and ancillary personnel.
16. Participates as an integral member of the Surgical ICU multidisciplinary team.
1. Ability to work within the semi-restricted and restricted environment of the Operating Room and other Perioperative support areas.
2. Stands under hot surgical lights for prolonged periods of time.
3. Possibility of muscle strain from lifting patients and heavy equipment, shocks and burns from cautery units and autoclaves. Possibility of cuts from sharp instruments.
4. Frequent exposure to hazardous chemicals, blood and bodily fluids, extreme noise levels, radiation, lasers, drastic fluctuations in ambient temperature, etc.
5. Ability to wear a protective lead apron for extended periods of time and exposure to radioactivity, harmful anesthesia gases and septic infections.
6. Requires frequent lifting and positioning of patients, materials, equipment, power tools, instruments, etc.
7. Frequent contacts with patients, physicians and nursing staff in Operating Room.
Skills & Abilities:
1. Expert knowledge of aseptic technique and infection prevention practices.
2. Expert knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, microbiology and pharmacology to ensure that optimal patient care is provided.
3. Advanced knowledge of computers, surgical equipment and department infrastructure.
4. Possess the ability to care for critically ill adult and pediatric patients with a broad range of medical and surgical problems .
5. Expert knowledge of surgical subspecialty equipment, supplies and instrumentation.
6. Advanced knowledge and skills necessary to provide care to patients throughout the life span .
7. Qualified in all basic and advanced cardiac life support standards as set by the American Heart Association.
8. Possess the maturity , self-confidence, and ability to follow complex patient management plans as directed by the attending physician.
Tufts Medicine is a leading integrated health system bringing together the best of academic and community healthcare to deliver exceptional, connected and accessible care experiences to consumers across Massachusetts. Comprised of Tufts Medical Center, Lowell General Hospital, MelroseWakefield Hospital, Lawrence Memorial Hospital of Medford, Care at Home - an expansive home care network, and large integrated physician network. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at Tufts Medicine. Tufts Medicine does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, national origin, gender identity and/or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org .