Physician, Full Professor - Head of the Visceral Surgery Service - Department Surgery
UNIL is a leading international teaching and research institution, with over 5,000 employees and 15,500 students split between its Dorigny campus, CHUV, and Epalinges. UNIL and CHUV encourage excellence, individual recognition, and responsibility. The Faculty of Biology and Medicine (FBM) and the Lausanne University Hospital (CHUV) are inviting applications for a position of:
Physician, Full Professor
Head of the Visceral Surgery Service (CHV)
Department Surgery (DC)
Starting date: 01/06/2024 (to be agreed)
Place: Lausanne, Switzerland
The visceral surgery Service includes expertise in many surgical specialties: hepato-biliary and pancreatic surgery, gastrointestinal tract and bariatric (obesity) surgery, esophagus, stomach, colon, rectum and proctology, endocrine surgery, sarcoma surgery, and renal transplantation. Minimally invasive surgery and robotics are well established and growing techniques. Best management of surgical patients, teaching, training, and clinical research are the core missions of the Service. This includes all courses and teaching of medical students, as well as advanced/continuing education in visceral, general, and emergency surgery. Through its numerous scientific publications, the Service is at the forefront of medical research in surgery and conducts various clinical research projects. The Service is one of the pioneers and international leaders in Enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS). Many collaborations are developed at institutional, national, and international levels.
- Run, organize, and manage the development of all activities of a university surgical service.
- Responsibility for the expertise and quality of the service's clinical missions/services while developing multidisciplinary and inter-institutional collaborations and synergies in line with the CHUV strategic plan.
- Federate, conduct, and develop high-level clinical and academic research, financed by external expert funds and published in quality scientific journals, including its own research.
- Guarantee and take active part in the missions of pre-graduate (according to FBM needs), post-graduate (ISFM training center cat. A1), and continuing education, in the field of the discipline, by being the discipline leader.
- Guarantee a high level of medical and scientific activity, increase the influence of clinical and academic field, both internally and externally. Collaborate with the hospitals of the Vaud Hospital Federation (FHV) and neighboring cantons
- Federal medical degree (or Mebeko recognition required), MD or MD-PhD
- ISFM specialist title in surgery, with recognized expertise in visceral surgery (or Mebeko recognitions required)
- High clinical experience in tertiary level visceral surgery
- Knowledge/experience in renal transplantation
- Proven and certified managerial skills in leading and managing a large/multisite team. Large project management experience
- Academic knowledge and expertise at faculty level with proven practice in pre- and post-graduate teaching
- Ability to develop clinical research programs supported by expert external funding
- Good knowledge in French (LM or C1 ideal, minimum B2 with ability to acquire it quickly).
Applications, in English, should include i) a motivation letter, ii) a curriculum vitae, iii) a list of publications highlighting the five most significant ones, iv) a brief statement (5 pages max.) of the past and future research, v) a summary of previous teaching experience (if applicable), vi) and the names and contact information of at least three references, vii) a copy of diplomas, and viii) a valid identity card.
Applications should be submitted online by March 26th, 2023 (23:59 GMT+1) to: wwwfbm.unil.ch/releve/application/ as a single PDF file.
The job description is available on the here.
We offer a great working atmosphere in a multicultural, diverse and dynamic academic environment. There are possibilities for continuing professional education. Various opportunities and other benefits to discover.
UNIL and CHUV are committed to promoting gender equality and diversity and strongly encourage applications from female candidates: www.unil.ch/egalite.