Lead, Primary Care Physician
We’re changing lives every day. For both our patients and our team members. Are you innovative and entrepreneurial minded? Is your work ethic and ambition off the charts? Do you inspire others with your kindness and joy?
We’re different than most primary care providers. We’re rapidly expanding and we need great people to join our team.
ChenMed, a physician-led and mission-driven, primary care organization, is currently one of the most successful full-risk Medicare Advantage providers in the nation and has a vision to be America’s leading primary care provider, transforming care of the neediest population. Our mission is to honor seniors with affordable VIP care that delivers better health. In order to achieve our vision and deliver our mission, we need the best primary care providers and clinical leaders that are seeking to fulfill purpose and personal opportunity and join the ChenMed family.
The Lead, Primary Care Physician (Lead, PCP) is the initial step in the clinical leadership track at ChenMed; the Lead PCP will demonstrate:
• Accountability for outcomes: The Lead PCP demonstrates accountability for outcomes, strong clinical care, and cost-effectiveness for each patient in their panel of at least 360 patients. They understand that they can strongly influence the patient’s outcomes by building a trusting relationship and helping them change behaviors.
• Coaching for health: The Lead PCP acts as a health coach, rather than just a consultant for sickness, by helping patients set short and long-term health goals, partners with the patient to work toward the goals, and frequently follows up on those goals on the path to improved health for their patients.
• Simplifying for action: The Lead PCP simplifies and prioritizes appropriately so that behavior change is more actionable, both for the patient in helping them achieve their goals, and when leading their care teams towards their performance goals.
• Leadership: Leads Super Huddle (SH) and Transforming Care Meeting (TCM) weekly, as well as supports Center Manager/Center General Manager if the center clinical leader and/or market clinical leader is not available. The Lead PCP will fill in as needed for center clinical leadership needs, including monitoring daily center census as part of joint center accountability for outcomes. Drive a positive culture that supports a cohesive team approach, drives excellent results and relationships, and promotes "best place to work" culture measured by employee engagement scores.
We are an outcomes-focused, value-based organization and for their panel of patients, the following metrics are regularly measured to help Lead PCPs become successful and become successful PCP Partners: patient admissions/thousand, 16-18 appointment slots per day at a 0.9 FTE PCP schedule / 0.1 FTE dedicated leadership time (each new patient count for 2 slots, follow-up patients, typical 1.0 PCP FTE slots are 18-21), HEDIS>4, CG CAHPS (patient experience), clinical gaps closures, and medical cost effectiveness relative to center target. Each Lead PCP will have goals for these metrics and will be expected to work towards those targets with their center and market leadership as well as their care teams. Culture is very important in the medical centers and because PCP’s are leaders in our organization and centers, they are expected to help champion a positive culture of love, accountability, and passion along with center leadership.
The Lead PCP will be required to demonstrate the ability to function both independently and in collaboration with other health care professionals. The Lead PCP will work closely with the applicable center and market leadership to ensure compliance with guidelines along with participating in risk and quality management programs, clinical meetings and other meetings as required that promote patient health and company goals.
The Lead PCP will adhere to strict departmental goals/objectives, standards of performance, regulatory compliance, quality patient care compliance, and policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Independently provides care for patients with acute and chronic illnesses encountered in the older adult patient.
- Takes full accountability for patient care and outcomes and appropriately seeks consultation from specialists when needed, though will still stay involved in, and be responsible for, the detailed care of the patient.
- Engages with the hospitalist whenever one of their patients is in the hospital (regardless of whether the hospitalist works for ChenMed or not).
- Responsible for assessment, diagnosis, treatment, management, education, health promotion and care coordination and documentation for patients with acute and complex chronic health needs.
- Leads their care team consisting of care promoter (medical assistant), care facilitator, and care coordinator for patients able to come to the office.
- For patients that are unable to come to the office-in hospital, SNF, LTC or homebound, engages with the transitional care team and others including case managers, acute and transitional-care physicians, and other resources that may be available depending on the market.
- Leads Super Huddle (SH) and Transforming Care Meeting (TCM) weekly, as well as supports Center Manager/Center General Manager if the center clinical leader and/or market clinical leader is not available, based on guidance from Market Chief Medical Officer. Fills in as needed for center clinical leadership needs, including monitoring daily center census as part of joint center accountability for outcomes.
- Plays an active role in the management of their center and helps cover for other providers who may be out for various reasons. It is also expected that each Lead PCP will take an active role as needed in recruiting patients for the center and recruiting and interviewing additional providers for the company.
- Performs other duties as assigned and modified at manager’s discretion.
Available and Accessible for patients in order to build trust. It is expected that the Lead PCP will make themselves as accessible to their patients as possible by being open and available for walk-in visits and answering phone calls and messages in a timely manner.
Service Orientation - Provides care that they would want for a family member or for themselves to each patient at every interaction.
Evidence Based Medicine - Remains updated on evidence-based medicine, but also recognizes that factors outside of traditional medicine, like lifestyle and nutrition, have a large impact on patient health outcomes. Stays up to date on clinical, nutritional, and lifestyle-based interventions to improve outcomes.
Physician Leadership is integral to good healthcare, so the Lead PCP must be willing to continuously work to develop and improve leadership skills for the benefit of one’s patients, their team, their center, and the company.
Quality - Our patients deserve the highest quality of care. This requires a willingness to work with the care teams towards achieving high quality outcomes and quality measures. At the same time, Lead PCPs will always be looking for ways to continuously and systematically improve their practice of medicine and the operations of their center.
Influence - The Lead PCP must competently and compassionately influence their patients, their teams, and themselves to achieve the best outcomes.
Self-Care - A Lead PCP can take the best care for their patients when they are adequately caring for themselves. That means physically, mentally, socially and spiritually. Physician wellness is important for sustainability and promoting the health of physicians, staff, and patients.
We’re ChenMed and we’re transforming healthcare for seniors and changing America’s healthcare for the better. Family-owned and physician-led, our unique approach allows us to improve the health and well-being of the populations we serve. We’re growing rapidly as we seek to rescue more and more seniors from inadequate health care.
ChenMed is changing lives for the people we serve and the people we hire. With great compensation, comprehensive benefits, career development and advancement opportunities and so much more, our employees enjoy great work-life balance and opportunities to grow. Join our team who make a difference in people’s lives every single day.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, plus a variety of other applications used in the company
- Ability and willingness to travel locally as needed in their market, if applicable, nationally for initial training (2 weeks) and then occasionally regionally and nationally for recruiting or training purposes
- Fluency in English, verbal and written. There may be jobs in some centers that require fluency in other languages, and this will be made known at the time of application.
- This job requires use and exercise of independent judgment
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE CRITERIA:
- MD or DO in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Geriatrics, or similar specialty required
- Current, active MD licensure in State of employment is required
- A minimum of 1-year clinical experience in geriatric, adult or family practice setting preferred, with Lead PCP ideally being a ChenMed PCP Partner
- Completion of Chen Medical training, including Masterful Conversations and meeting facilitation, as part of the individual development plan
- Board certification in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Geriatrics or similar specialty is preferred, Board Eligibility is required
- Once Board certified, PCP will maintain board certification in their terminal specialty by doing necessary MOC, CME and/or retaking board exams as required
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required
- Must have a current DEA number for schedule II-V controlled substances
Apply for Lead, Primary Care Physician
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly.
You do not need to create an account to apply for this job.
This application including your CV, if uploaded, will be sent directly to the employer.