We’re changing lives every day. For both our patients and our team members. Are you innovative and entrepreneurial minded? Is your work ethic and ambition off the charts? Do you inspire others with your kindness and joy?
We’re different than most primary care providers. We’re rapidly expanding and we need great people to join our team.
The Market Cardiologist (MC) is a Licensed/Board Certified professional who plays a key role as part of the clinical operations team, providing direct patient care and assessments, primarily in the ambulatory health care center setting. The responsibilities of the MC include but are not limited to: diagnosing and treating various cardiovascular ailments or diseases, such as heart attacks and coronary heart disease, taking medical history, conducting physical exams, developing a plan of care, providing health education, specialty referrals and case management referrals, providing follow-up care and applying clear, in-depth documentation through written progress notes and summaries according to ChenMed/JenCare/Dedicated standards for quality, service, productivity and teamwork. He/She also participates in clinical rounds and conferences.
- Provides excellent inpatient and outpatient cardiovascular care as well as, care coordination, echocardiogram reading, population management of market's members, and oversight of PCP's cardiovascular skills.
- Leads a cardiovascular care team that may include Care Promoters, Echocardiogram/X-ray Technician(s), and in some cases a mid-level (ARNP or PA) dedicated to cardiology depending on the scope and member volume.
- Assists the Medical Director, Cardiology in managing the day-to-day clinical and business operations and building positive relationships with providers and key stakeholders for all ChenMed/JenCare/Dedicated Senior Health centers within the market.
- Consults with the Medical Director, Cardiology to ensure compliance with guidelines along with participating in risk and quality management programs, clinical meetings and other programs that maximize and promote clinical value, improve clinical quality, efficiency, physician/patient satisfaction and advance strategic business objectives.
This position will have an estimated 80% direct patient care responsibilities (typically will consist of outpatient care, but may include targeted inpatient visits as needed), 10% leadership/administrative duties, 10% echo reading time and is expected to include the following activities:
DIRECT PATIENT CARE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the care of chronic cardiovascular diseases, e.g. examines patient and runs or orders tests to determine chief complaint and recommends appropriate care or treatment plans as indicated by patient condition and to meet their clinical needs, for a panel of 3,500 to 4,000 patients ( with the support of the Care Team and Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant ).
- Assesses patient’s ability to withstand the stresses of cardiovascular or other surgeries and helps surgeons or invasive cardiologists in managing strategy for patient, including clearing patient for surgery.
- Runs and accurately reads EKG, chest X-rays and echoes; includes ability to know which blood tests to order to check for certain types of heart diseases. Orders studies, tests and other ancillary services as needed.
- Limiting external cardiovascular care where high quality internal care can be appropriately provided to members.
- Finds most appropriate treatment for patient, i.e. individualized treatment.
- Prescribes medication and treatment in accordance with patient condition, payer coverage/guidelines and industry standards.
- Reviews PCP requests for external cardiology referrals and participates in delegated utilization authorizations; determines level of urgency of follow-up, referral/consultation appointments.
- May have responsibility for cardiology clinical operations of 2-4 centers in the market, under the supervision of the MDC.
- Exercises final medical judgment in issues of health care for paneled patients.
- Provides patient education related to heart disease, wellness, prevention and early detection, including supporting market CHF clinics and other patient education initiatives.
- Assists with training and hiring of dedicated cardiology Care Promoters and NPs/PAs.
- Coaches and mentors PCP physicians and other clinicians in cardiology management in the PCP setting.
- Participation in cardiovascular team meetings and daily huddles, and participate in focused clinical discussions in market huddles, super-huddles, and team meetings.
- Aids with quality and performance initiatives, assists with implementation of cost reduction and market clinical strategies and builds relationships with internal and external physician stakeholders.
Other responsibilities may include:
- Assists Medical Director, Cardiology with market quality and performance improvement initiatives.
- Attends bi-monthly Cardiology Service Line meetings.
- Develops meaningful relationships with providers and key stakeholders in the market.
- Uses the understanding of the local market dynamics to drive clinical initiatives.
- Assists and coordinates, in conjunction with the transitional care team; hospital, SNF, post-acute, delegated utilization management and home-based services for the market.
- Performs o ther related duties as assigned and modified at manager’s discretion.
- Reports to: to Associate Chief Medical Officer or Chief Medical Officer with indirect reporting relationship to the Medical Director, Cardiology or Regional Medical Director, Cardiology or National Director, Cardiology.
- Direct reports: May have direct responsibility for allied health staff such as the Care Promoters, X-ray Technicians and/or Nurse Practitioners/Physician Assistants.
- Other key relationships: Market Chief Medical Officer, Director, Operations, Director, Network and Medical Costs, Market Sales Director/Manager, Center Managers, external sub-specialists and providers in hospitals and post-acute care facilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of pharmacological agents used in patient treatment
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures within the Cardiology field
- Superior clinical skills in the management of seniors with complex medical needs throughout all environments of care
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to build relationships with external organizations
- Superb ability to cultivate strong relationships with our primary care physicians, their center-based care teams and other staff
- Good analytical skills and the ability to manage for results
- Conflict management and resolution skills, and ideally, experience of population risk management or complex chronic disease care management
- Effective verbal and written communication skills along with proper telephone etiquette
- Performs in a tactful and professional manner
- Comfortable with the electronic medical record and agile with keyboarding
- Proficient Microsoft Office skills including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint plus a variety of other word-processing, spreadsheet, database, e-mail and presentation software
- Ability and willingness to travel locally, regionally and nationwide up to 15% of the time
- Spoken and written fluency in English
- This job requires use and exercise of independent judgment
We’re ChenMed and we’re transforming healthcare for seniors and changing America’s healthcare for the better. Family-owned and physician-led, our unique approach allows us to improve the health and well-being of the populations we serve. We’re growing rapidly as we seek to rescue more and more seniors from inadequate health care.
ChenMed is changing lives for the people we serve and the people we hire. With great compensation, comprehensive benefits, career development and advancement opportunities and so much more, our employees enjoy great work-life balance and opportunities to grow. Join our team who make a difference in people’s lives every single day.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE CRITERIA:
- MD or DO in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Geriatrics or similar specialty required
- Board Certification in Cardiology required but may have other sub-specialty training and board certification as well
- Current, unrestricted and active license to practice medicine in state where position is located
- Current DEA and DPS Certificate of Registration required
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience as a Cardiologist required
- Prior experience working with interdisciplinary teams in quality improvement and or medical/healthcare leadership activities preferred
Apply for Cardiologist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly.
You do not need to create an account to apply for this job.
This application including your CV, if uploaded, will be sent directly to the employer.