Employment and Education Specialist
- NYC Health + Hospitals/Jacobi is the largest public hospital in the Bronx (500+ beds) and a Level 1 Trauma Center. Jacobi is a major academic affiliation and teaching site of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Recognized as the regional hyperbaric center and regional snakebite center for the tri-state area, Jacobi offers state of the art medical care, delivered with compassion, dignity, and respect. From preventive medicine to cutting-edge specialty services, Jacobi provides first class care in a wide range of services and specialties.
- The SUV (Stand Up to Violence) is a gun violence prevention initiative run out of NYC Health + Hospitals/Jacobi. The SUV program is an evidence-based, violence reduction initiative that treats gun violence as a disease by identifying its causes and interrupting its transmission. The program hires a community outreach team of credible messengers - individuals who are hired from the communities in which they work and have backgrounds similar to those with whom they aim to connect - mentor the highest risk youth with an emphasis on conflict mediation and violence prevention.
- In order to prevent violence, methods and strategies associated with disease control are implemented:
Detecting and interrupting conflicts Outreach Workers (OW) identify and mediate conflict between high-risk individuals and groups in order to prevent violence and ongoing acts of retaliation.
Treating the highest-risk individuals The OWs mentor and support high-risk youth and young adults (ages 14 to 28) and connect them to educational, vocational, recreational and social services changing social norms
Under the direction of the Assistant Program Director and/or Executive Program Director, the
Employment and Education Specialist will:
Assist participants in obtaining and maintaining employment that is consistent with their individual vocational goals
Assess participants' vocational functioning on an ongoing basis utilizing background information and work experiences
Conduct job development and job search activities directed towards positions that are individualized to the interests and uniqueness of the population
Provide outreach to employer contacts and serving as an advocate for participants and staff; providing necessary engagement with participants and staff to connect them to opportunities both within crisis management System and outside of crisis management system
Assist participants and community partners with the implementation of the Anti-Gun Violence Employment Program and other employment opportunities offered through the Crisis management system which may include but not limited to:
Helping participants with documentation requirements
Creating partnerships with local stakeholders, organizations, and businesses to serve as worksites for youth job placements
Attend meetings and trainings offered through agency partners to aid in the implementation of the employment program
Maintain required program documentation
Performs other duties necessary to further the goals of the SUV program
- 2- 3 years' experience in a similar role
- BA/BS preferred but not required
- Experience working with people who have experienced trauma, peer led work and/or in the criminal justice field
- A sense of humor and a love for working with at-risk youth
- Those with a history of criminal justice involvement are encouraged to apply
Proof of Covid 19 vaccination required prior to hire
Apply for Employment and Education Specialist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly.
You do not need to create an account to apply for this job.
This application including your CV, if uploaded, will be sent directly to the employer.