Vice Chairperson, Staten Island University Hospital - Northwell Health
Northwell Health’s Behavioral Health Service Line and The Department of Psychiatry is seeking a full-time board certified psychiatrist to be the Vice Chairperson of the Department of Psychiatry at Staten Island University Hospital. We are seeking applicants with outstanding clinical and managerial skills who have a passion for leading, directing, and developing an academically-oriented behavioral health center of excellence.
The Vice Chairperson will provide senior oversight of hospital-based services at Staten Island University Hospital. The Vice Chair will work collaboratively with hospital and health system leaders to meet and exceed the departments organizational, clinical, operational, and financial goals. Responsibilities include clinician recruitment, education, supervision, strategic development, and process improvement initiatives.
As a leader, you will work to develop and expand comprehensive mental health services on Staten Island. The ideal candidate will work closely with the Chair, as well as an interdisciplinary clinical team to provide senior oversight of hospital-based services, including adherence to pertinent federal and state regulatory requirements.
As an innovator, you will identify and develop new clinical programs consistent with market opportunity, patient need and financial feasibility. The Vice Chairperson will ensure continued strong relationships with the community and work collaboratively with CBO’s (Community-Based Organizations), local government, and other entities, on program development.
As an educator, you will encourage academic research activities in partnership with The Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. The Vice Chairperson will contribute to scholarship and assist in setting and achieving overall near- and long-term goals of the Department of Psychiatry.
Behavioral Health Services at Northwell Health
Northwell Health Behavioral Health Services strives to address the diverse mental health needs of the communities we serve by providing a continuum of high-quality psychological services and behavioral health resources. These include:
- Emergency, inpatient, and outpatient services for people of all ages suffering from a variety of psychiatric and addictive disorders
- Expand access for behavioral health treatment and wellness services to the region
- Continue to build and develop strong educational and training programs in psychiatry and its related disciplines while expanding knowledge in the behavioral health sciences through clinical research
Recognizing that behavioral health is a concern across the lifespan, we focus on issues impacting all age groups, from children and adolescents right up through the growing geriatric population. We make sure that our services meet the needs of our consumers, and we partner with patients and families as we build for tomorrow’s community behavioral health needs. Working collaboratively across the health care system, we aim to continually identify and create optimal treatment environments and options, providing the necessary cutting-edge mental health services that keep our communities healthy and improve lives.
Focus on the Whole Patient
As the largest health care system in the New York metropolitan area — and the 13th largest in the nation — patients benefit from Northwell Health’s entire continuum of care. Due to our extensive breadth and depth of clinical services, we are equipped to care for the most complex patients and meet 100% of their clinical, social, and emotional needs.
Comprehensive Depth and Breadth of Services
Northwell Health Behavioral Health Services strives to address the diverse mental health needs of the communities we serve by providing a continuum of high-quality psychological services and behavioral health resources. Staten Island University Hospital is a 668-bed specialized teaching hospital that occupies two main campuses and numerous community-based health centers and laboratories. Our 17-acre campus on Seaview Avenue in Ocean Breeze offers a wide range of services and features the island’s most advanced emergency department (ED), a state-of-the-art education center, and more.
Nationally-Recognized Research Institute with State-of-the-Art Laboratories
The Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research are composed of more than 1,500 clinicians, scientists, and staff who work in laboratories and clinical research programs in collaboration with clinicians and patients throughout the many facilities of Northwell Health. Every year, more than 15,000 patients and volunteers participate in over 2,000 research studies. Our state-of-the-art laboratories provide the infrastructure needed to conduct groundbreaking, disease-oriented research. It also houses the largest genotyping facility in the state of New York. The Feinstein Institute ranks in the top 6th percentile of all National Institutes of Health (NIH) grants awarded to research centers. The Feinstein Institute has produced more than 200 patents in 80 distinct technologies and has generated a dozen successful biotech start-ups.
A Medical School Seeking to Redefine Medical Education
Established in 2008, The Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell was founded by two equal partners: Hofstra University and Northwell Health. The School of Medicine is built upon the strong clinical and graduate medical education programs of Northwell, as well as the robust research and academic programs of both Hofstra and Northwell’s Feinstein Institute for Medical Research. Currently, the Zucker School of Medicine ranks among top medical schools nationwide for primary care (2018 U.S. News & World Report’s Best Graduate Schools). The institution comprises more than 2,400 faculty members across 25 academic departments, and enrolls a diverse community of approximately 400 students.
Unwavering Commitment to Innovation
At Northwell Health, we like to say, we see health care differently. That’s because we are driven by innovation; a commitment that is as unique as it is organic. It is as likely to be found in our environmental services department as it is on our patient floors or in our research labs. It is a way of thinking, acting, and believing that, when it comes to health care, we can find a better way. Our goal has always been to be better today than we were yesterday; better tomorrow than we are today. It is a singular focus. It is the Northwell Way. The following pages offer a summary of the role we are seeking to fill. We hope you will be among the chosen to give the best of their energy and skill to dreaming the impossible and making it possible.
The successful candidate will ideally possess the following qualifications and experience:
Education and Experience
- MD or DO Degree, or equivalent, from an accredited institution (ACGME or foreign program that is similarly appropriately accredited)
- Completion of a Residency in Psychiatry with Board Certification.
- Minimum of three (3) years of clinical practice in psychiatric medicine and previous leadership experience
- Must be licensed as a physician in the State of New York
- Experience in a leadership role in a hospital department, preferably in a major medical center or health system, required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to establish credibility quickly, build rapport, and easily interact with clinical and administrative leadership, as well as physicians and staff throughout Northwell Health.
- Proven ability to cultivate strong relationships with various stakeholders and create an environment that fosters collaboration and trust.
- Exceptional presentation skills and a high degree of poise when interacting with internal and external senior leaders.
- Expertise in the latest evidence-based clinical guidelines and technological advances.
- Genuine enthusiasm for working in an environment of constant change and growth.
- Desire to train the next generation of physicians.
- Strategic and critical thinker.
- Integrity and accountability.
- Visionary and innovative.
- Decisive and results-oriented.
- Credibility and presence.
Responsibilities and First-Year Aspirations
The newly appointed Vice Chairperson will be expected to achieve the following goals in the first twelve months of his or her tenure:
- Earn the trust and confidence of the regional players and hospital leaders, administrators at each ambulatory location, physicians and staff throughout Northwell Health.
- Ensure high quality patient care through development and standardization of care processes and protocols, educational seminars, metrics, outcome measures, and process improvement initiatives.
- Actively participate in physician recruitment and the development of growth opportunities.
- Develop interdisciplinary collaborations with the Feinstein Institute and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory to expand and enhance research programs, with an emphasis on expanding access to clinical trials in year one.
- Participate in research projects (basic/clinical/applied), and advise fellows and house staff.
Please send your resume and referrals to:
For additional information, please contact:
Office of Physician Recruitment
600 Community Drive, Ste. 302
Manhasset, NY 11030
Northwell Health is New York State’s largest health care provider and private employer, with 23 hospitals, more than 600 outpatient facilities and nearly 15,000 affiliated physicians. We care for over two million people annually in the New York metro area and beyond, thanks to philanthropic support from our communities. Our 66,000 employees – 15,000-plus nurses and 4,000 employed doctors, including members of Northwell Health Physician Partners – are working to change health care for the better. We’re making breakthroughs in medicine at the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research. We're training the next generation of medical professionals at the visionary Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell and the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies.
Diversity and Health Equity:
Northwell Health is committed to training, supporting and nurturing physicians from all backgrounds. We fully understand that diversity is integral for our institutional excellence and a means to attaining health equity. As a result, our diversity and inclusion efforts are a part of everything we do, from education, to clinical care, to research, to physician well-being. Diversity and inclusion permeates our educational and clinical initiatives. We have set a goal to make sure every one of our physicians receives training on how to deliver high quality, culturally competent care. Our recent educational areas of focus have been on social determinants of health, community engagement and developing a medical-legal partnership for our physicians-in-training. One of our many strengths is our diverse patient population and our expectation is that our diverse patient populations receive equitable care, irrespective of who they are. As a result, we continually recruit a diverse physician workforce to meet the needs of our diverse patients.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Physicians are employed through Northwell Health Physician Partners, one of the largest medical groups in the country.
Apply for Vice Chairperson, Staten Island University Hospital - Northwell Health
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly.
You do not need to create an account to apply for this job.
This application including your CV, if uploaded, will be sent directly to the employer.