Physician - Anesthesiology
This position is located in the Directorate of Surgical Services, Anesthesiology, Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, Virginia.
This announcement is for a current vacancy under the Direct Hire Authority (DHA) for Certain Personnel within DoD, and may be used to fill similar vacancies for up to 120 days from the date of your application. Applicants may need to reapply to be considered on future vacancies filled through this announcement.
- Serves as a recognized expert in the delivery of anesthesia to patients. Independently performs the full range of care to include evaluations, review of medical records and family history, patient and family education, and coordination of care with current or evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- Provides direct patient care which includes, but is not limited to the assessment of consultation for, and preparation of patients for anesthesia, provision of insensibility to pain during surgical, therapeutic, and diagnostic procedures, and the management of patients so affected, provides general anethesia, regional anesthesia, neuraxial anesthesia, and monitored anesthesia care, as indicated based on patient and procedure, monitoring, and restortaion of homeostatsis during the perioperative period, diagnosis and treatment of painful syndromes, clinical management and teaching of cardiac and pulmonary resucitation, and supervision, teaching, and evaluation of performance of both medical and paramedical personnel.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit: e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (including marijuana) may be required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if you fail to report to the drug test appointment or pass the test. You will be subject to random testing.
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Salary listed is based on a full-time work schedule; Salary will vary depending on location of the position due to different locality salary charts.
- Employee must maintain current certifications.
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required.
- You may be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- Full time, part time, intermittent, permanent, term, and/or temporary appointments are available.
- May be required to serve a probationary period.
- You may be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- You may be required to obtain and maintain a current license/certification as required for various specialties.
- You may be required to receive and maintain appropriate vaccinations and immunizations.
- Work is performed in areas where potentially harmful physical and chemical agents are present (e.g. fumes, dust, heat, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, and chemicals). You will be required to participate in medical surveillance programs.
- You will be required to meet any applicable credentialing or privileging requirements prior to appointment.
- Telework eligibility varies depending on position.
Applicants must meet the following Basic Requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Standards Manual: Applicants must possess:
- DEGREE: Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicant's graduation.
- LICENSING: Active, permanent, full, unrestricted physician license to practice medicine in any state, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
- RESIDENCY: Five years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent experience and training in Anesthesiology (e.g., 3 years Residency and 2 years Fellowship, or equivalent experience and training). Your resume must reflect you have a sufficient level of expertise in Anesthesiology to perform the core privileges of this position.
- Selective Placement Factor (SPF): This position has a selective placement factor that will be used to screen out ineligible candidates. The selective placement factor is: Possession of Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers Certification. Failure to possess this factor WILL result in an ineligible rating. Possession of the factor must be verifiable via your resume
How to Apply
Your complete resume including beginning and ending dates, month, and year, detail description of duties performed, etc. for each experience must be received by 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on 8/9/2021. If more than one resume is received, only the last resume received and processed will be reviewed. Send your resume only to: firstname.lastname@example.org (no SSN or pictures please). Insert NEJM939295LTA10990713AN in your subject line.
To learn more about the position under the catch all Physician(Various Specialties) Announcement, please visit: