- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health Center, located just 15 minutes from NYC, is an acute care teaching hospital academically affiliated with Weill-Cornell Medical College. Dedicated to providing high quality patient care to a diverse community, Lincoln Hospital is a NYS designated Level I Trauma and Stroke Center and has Centers of Excellence in all medical specialties including its awarding winning Cancer and Breast Centers.
The objectives of a Cancer Registrar are to establish and maintain the efficient operation of a Cancer Registry, to identify, and accession eligible cases, to follow analytic patients, and to retrieve, analyze, and disseminate registry data in
accordance with professional ethics and to meet New York State Registry reporting requirements and deadlines. Additionally the CTR will fulfill all the necessary requirements to needed for the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (ACOS CoC) accreditation process.
1) Casefinding: Utilize disease index (Malignancy Study Report), ICD 10 billing reports, Pathology / Cytology / Autopsy reports, Cancer Committee meetings, and clinical practice logs to identify both inpatient and outpatient malignancies.
2) Abstracting: Obtain, abstract, analyze the required data sets from the patient's medical record as required by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and New York State Cancer Registry.
3) Follow-up: Follow all cancer patients to obtain information
Organize and maintain the data system, which will conform to the standard of cancer registry operationsand meet the requirements set by the Commission on Cancer Program Standards.
- Maintain the confidentiality and security of patient data stored in the cancer registry data files.
- Code topography, stage, and morphology of tumor cases. Code all items of information for computer
- Develop and maintain quality control measures regarding casefinding, abstracting, coding, follow-up, and
- data processing procedures.
- Maintain a Policy and Procedure manual detailing the operations of the cancer registry.
Data Retrieval and Analysis:
- Formulate procedures for computerized retrieval of registry data.
- Assemble and disseminate data collected by the cancer registry, honor requests for data, prepare routine and special reports that summarize the cancer data at this hospital as mandated by the NY State Cancer Registry, Commission on Cancer, and Lincoln Medical Center.
- Prepare narrative reports and computer-generated graphical representation of the data requested.
- Assist and collaborate with clinicians on cancer-related studies indicate the strengths and limitations of the cancer registry data and provide guidance and the appropriate usage of registry data.
Cancer program activities:
- Coordinate the activities of cancer registry the cancer committee and cancer-related conferences.
- Attend all designated cancer conferences.
- Promote continuing care of cancer patients through an act of follow-up system.
- Assist the cancer Committee in developing criteria for patient care evaluation studies.
- Maintain liaison with medical community and Allied Health Professions local state and national health organizations professional societies and other cancer registries.
- Actively participate in all cancer committee functions and in Commission on Cancer accreditation efforts.
- Plan and direct the operations of the cancer registry.
- Acquire reference materials and other necessary tools for cancer registry functions.
- Continue educational activities to attendance of cancer-related lectures, workshops, symposiums, training programs, national meetings, etc.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Lincoln Medical Center electronic medical record system.
Possess a bachelor's degree or high school diploma with three years minimum of full-time equivalent experience and cancer registry field and cancer registry certification.
Registrars must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Proficiency in word processing spreadsheets and PowerPoint are expected.
Certified cancer registrars are required and mandated by the New York State Department of Health.
Apply for Cancer Registrar-Certified
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly.
You do not need to create an account to apply for this job.
This application including your CV, if uploaded, will be sent directly to the employer.