Chair of Psychiatry, Abington Jefferson Health
The Chair of the Department of Psychiatry at Abington-Jefferson Health, will work in collaboration with the Jefferson Health Service Line Administrator to oversee the development, execution, and continuous performance of strategic and operating initiatives within the psychiatry and human behavior service line across the continuum of care (outpatient, observation, and inpatient). This includes the development of the three-year strategic plan, the implementation of the annual operating plan, and the selection of meaningful initiatives and projects that will drive the desired outcomes to achieve organizational growth, service, quality, and cost objectives. The Chair is responsible for aligning employed and community-based physicians within the service line and acting as a visible champion of change initiatives to continue to improve performance. In addition, the Chair serves as a member of the Jefferson Behavioral Service Line and a faculty appointment in in the Department of Psychiatry is possible.
The department consists of approximately seven psychiatrist and one APP. Our staff treats a wide variety of disorders including anxiety, panic disorders, depression, adjustment disorder, personality disorders, drug and alcohol disorders, relationship disorders and psychosis, to mention a few. Therapies provided by our staff include individual psychotherapy, psychoanalysis, medication management, couples therapy, family therapy, and group therapy. A joint venture with the Department of Anesthesiology provides local Trans-Magnetic Stimulation (TMS).
- Provide visionary and innovative leadership to guide the department into the next phase of growth and development.
- Define and lead the Abington Jefferson department’s academic and clinical strategy.
- Provide the vision and leadership to achieve superior clinical programs within psychiatry. Work with the leadership at Jefferson to build and grow areas of acknowledged clinical excellence. Create innovative, entrepreneurial programs that are aligned with the health system’s mission, vision, and values. Develop partnerships and foster collaboration with affiliated institutions and new members of the health system.
- Engage employed and community-based physicians in service line initiatives to optimize performance, including enlisting physicians to fill important roles on committees or projects; coach physician colleagues as needed; drive for performance excellence. Foster individual professional growth and advancement in leadership positions to address succession planning.
- Assure that excellent clinical education and advanced training is delivered to learners, including medical students, residents, fellows, APPs, and Medical Staff as appropriate by service line.
- Work in collaboration with the Department Chairs and the Division Chiefs to recruit new clinicians in alignment with the strategic plan and budget; orient new clinicians to the service line model, data, and performance expectations. Recruit, hire, and retain an outstanding diverse clinical staff within the areas of psychiatry and human behavior.
- Champion efforts to standardize practice and minimize care variation through order sets, best practice clinical protocols, guidelines, products, and other efforts.
- With the support of Jefferson Health system, Service line and Divisional leadership, engage, design, and implement meaningful programs to address healthcare disparities in our market.
- An interest in and ability to contribute to the coordination of wellness for the healthcare community
- - Leadership of the Abington Jefferson Health Wellness Council
- - Leadership of the Proactive Support Team
- - Leadership of Schwartz Rounds
- Provide strong participation and advocacy for psychiatry and behavioral health as a member of the Abington Jefferson Medical Executive committee.
- Supervise, prepare, implement, and monitor the department budget that encompasses all funding sources and ensures compliance with grant, legislative, and institutional guidelines.
- Champion pay for performance and quality initiatives.
- Encourage ethical medical and financial practice across the department. Support compliance activities proactively and as necessary.
Credentials: Psychiatrist certified by ABPN or equivalent with an MD or DO degree and relevant board certification with license of eligible for medical licensure in the state of Pennsylvania.
Academic accomplishments and credentials within psychiatry: The experience and reputation necessary to ensure the continuation and enhancement of the clinical and educational missions of the Department.
Significant, successful administrative experience as a clinical leader at an community academic institution: Experience developing clinical leaders and a reputation for support, mentorship, and development of junior clinicians.
External representation: Demonstrated ability to build and sustain collegial relationships with peers, faculty, departmental staff, hospital administration, students and other learners, and representatives of outside organizations and community stakeholders.
Managerial and business acumen: Experience in and demonstrated knowledge of the complex financial pressures facing academic medical centers and health care delivery organizations today. Capable of developing innovative and novel care delivery models including telehealth.
This will be demonstrated by:
- Negotiating with a genuine give-and-take approach, where both sides act as true peers, decisions are shared, and win-win opportunities are achieved when possible.
- Spending time identifying all stakeholders necessary and meeting/connecting with all of them, neglecting no one to shape a collective consensus.
- A reputation as a consummate professional who looks for creative ways to break down barriers; and an ability to see the bigger picture of issues as opposed to taking sides.
The incoming chair will possess a track record of overseeing the operation in a fiscally prudent manner. This will be accomplished through:
- An ability to surpass goals, seizing opportunities to push the envelope.
- Setting continually higher goals that are ambitious but realistic for self and team, geared to organizational objectives.
- Experience in philanthropic pursuits to support programmatic development; and a track record of running an operationally strong and financially solid organization.
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- The highest integrity and personal ethics.
- A commitment to service within the community.
- Outstanding communication, process management, and team leadership skills.
- High energy coupled with a strong work ethic and a desire to have impact.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and strong business orientation.
- Leadership gravitas coupled with emotional intelligence.
Apply for Chair of Psychiatry, Abington Jefferson Health
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly.
You do not need to create an account to apply for this job.
This application including your CV, if uploaded, will be sent directly to the employer.