Oncology Specialty Clinical Pharmacist
Position Summary: The Oncology Specialty Clinical Pharmacist will provide Oncology specialty pharmaceutical care services in the SMG Dispensary using approved protocols in collaboration with other health care professionals, including managing and dispensing oncology oral & supportive drug therapy and providing patient education while promoting high quality, evidence-based, cost-effective oncology specialty pharmaceutical care. Independent thinking and decision-making is required. Performs these duties in the clinical areas assigned. Full pharmacotherapy knowledge.
Essential Job functions:
- Promotes rational, evidence based and cost-effective outpatient oncology oral & supportive drug therapy through close participation in the oncology drug therapy decision-making process with the care team.
- Under various approved NCCN treatment protocols, evaluates patient specific drug therapy management plans and therapy endpoints and recommends changes and improvements in oncology & supportive drug therapy based on information obtained through patient interviews, objective monitoring parameters, review of drug profiles and the patient medical record.
- Optimizes oncology medication regimen utilization and clinical outcomes in various cancer diagnoses as required.
- Assesses clinical appropriateness of medication to be administered, route of administration, and medication strength, dose, and frequency along with clinical data for relevant characteristics that affect effectiveness of medication and associated risks, (e.g. comorbidities, contraindications, duplicative therapy, side effects, potential drug interactions, allergies, age, weight)
- Understands Specialty PBMs and formulary requirements. Identifies and recommends alternative drugs for requests for non-formulary specialty drugs required by insurances.
- Obtains prior authorizations for oncology & supportive oral medications by working closely with PBM's and manufacturer grant organizations for co-pay assistance.
- Communicates and documents findings and pharmacist interventions with prescribers and provides appropriate alternatives to current treatment plans as needed in the EHR.
- Optimizes patient medication adherence through counseling, and application of motivational interviewing skills. Documents patient consultations at therapy initiation and follow-up, including review of oncology oral & supportive medication effectiveness, side effects, lab monitoring, expected outcomes of therapy and duration of therapy.
- Designs, implements and monitors therapeutic specialty drug plans to achieve improved outcomes through both direct and telephonic interactions with patients and providers.
- Conducts patient medication history inquiries and oncology oral & supportive drug information requests upon referral from physicians and other medical personnel.
- Analyzes and employs a systematic, efficient, and thorough procedure for retrieving drug information.
- Formulates response and follows up consistently on drug information recommendations and assesses effectiveness.
- Collaborate with other health care professionals to plan, monitor, review, or evaluate the quality or effectiveness of drugs or drug regimens, providing advice on drug applications or characteristics.
- Identifies, resolves, and prevents potential and actual medication-related problems including: untreated indications, improper drug selection, sub-therapeutic dosage, overdose, failure to receive medication, adverse drug reactions, drug interactions, and medication without indication.
- Coordinates and interprets laboratory monitoring of drug therapy, including serum drug levels, electrolytes, and other drug-related laboratory tests.
- Evaluates the efficacy of oral & supportive drug therapy and anticipates side effects, toxicity or adverse effects.
- Participates and prepares presentations on the P&T committee and quality improvement committees and effectively communicates with stakeholders.
- Participates in the review and analysis of Oncology Pharmacy Data reports with objective of identifying actionable opportunities to improve patient outcomes.
General Job functions:
- Develops and participates in operational and clinical projects as determined by current departmental needs and ongoing projects.
- Participates in the development and presentation of specialty pharmacy education to providers and staff via department meetings, newsletters, formal utilization reviews, and one-on-one interactions
- Assures ongoing performance improvement of the specialty pharmaceutical care services provided.
- Provides feedback and/or consultation related to technology utilization for documentation of specialty clinical pharmacy outcomes, or other identified medication related issues
- Other job duties as required.
Education, Certification, Computer and Training Requirements:
- Pharm D required.
- PGY-1 Residency preferred.
- NJ State Board of Pharmacy licensed required.
- Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties Certification: Board Certified Ambulatory Care or Pharmacotherapeutics Pharmacist required. Other BPS Specialties considered.
- Certified Specialty Pharmacist credentials required.
- American Pharmaceutical Association MTM Certification preferred.
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing required.
- Experience with Standard Office Equipment (Phone, Fax, Copy Machine, Scanner, Email/Voice Mail).
- Experience with Standard Office Technology in a Window based environment required.
- Prior Specialty Clinical Pharmacy experience in retail or a PBM Specialty Pharmacy preferred: 5+ years preferred
- Adheres to local, state, and federal laws regarding the profession of pharmacy practice.
Travel - Need to travel to other company or client locations at a minimum 10% of the time.
- A friendly and fast-paced environment working with passionate people
- Outstanding growth opportunities
- Time Off
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Short/Long Term Disability, HSA, and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with company matching contribution
- Cash Bonus Programs
- Recognition and rewards programs to recognize successful teams
- Other Perks & Discounts
- Commuter and parking discount program to help you save (using pretax dollars)
*Full Time Benefit Eligible Employees Only
Equal Opportunity Employer
Our Company provides equal employment opportunities ( EEO ) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, race, color, religion, creed, gender/sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression (including transgender status), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, military status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Our Company cares about the safety of our employees and applicants. Our Company does not use chat rooms for job searches or communications. Our Company will never request personal information via informal chat platforms or unsecure email. Our Company will never ask for money or an exchange of money, banking or other personal information prior to the in-person interview. Be aware of potential scams while job seeking. Interviews are conducted at select Our Company locations during regular business hours only. For information on job scams, visit, https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/JobScams or file a complaint at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ .
Apply for Oncology Specialty Clinical Pharmacist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly.
You do not need to create an account to apply for this job.
This application including your CV, if uploaded, will be sent directly to the employer.