Chief Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Officer
The Chief, Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Officer (Chief of HEDI), UCLA Hospital and Clinic System is a key senior executive leadership position, reporting to the President, UCLA Health and CEO, UCLA Hospital System.
In collaboration with other senior leaders and key stakeholders, the Chief of HEDI is responsible for the vision, leadership, and strategic planning of UCLA Health initiatives that promote equity, diversity, and inclusion as essential elements of the health system's mission to deliver outstanding patient care, research, and education with compassion. The Chief of HEDI will develop and oversee programs and services for the staff to advance UCLA Health's commitment to health equity, cultural humility, and anti-racism; build and strengthen structures, policies, and protocols to provide an environment where every member of the UCLA Health community, including patients, feels welcomed, valued, supported, and accepted.
The Chief of HEDI will construct and implement data-driven metrics to measure the impact and effectiveness of UCLA Health EDI strategies, including those directly connected to the University of California Office of the President (UCOP) and UCLA campus EDI initiatives. The Chief EDI Officer will also partner closely with the senior EDI leadership at the David Geffen School of Medicine to ensure aligned and integrated efforts across the medical enterprise, unifying relevant academic specific endeavors with health system initiatives whenever possible including, but not limited to, shared responsibilities around EDI related accreditation issues, training, and education.
Currently ranked #4 in the nation and #1 in California by U.S. News and World Report, UCLA Health is an internationally respected health organization with a world-renowned reputation for excellence and a state-of-the-art medical center setting. With four award-winning hospitals, a top 10 medical school, and dozens of primary care practices, specialty practices, urgent care centers, and other locations throughout metro Los Angeles, UCLA Health's footprint will ensure that the vision and initiatives developed by the Chief of HEDI have a meaningful impact on the entire community of greater Los Angeles.
The Chief of HEDI will bring a high degree of cultural intelligence and technical mastery of diversity and inclusion strategy in academic medicine. The ideal candidate will have exemplary leadership and relationship skills at the level of being a role model for peers and employees and an individual who upholds the cultural values of the institution, including CICARE and the Cultural North Star. In addition, the individual must possess a combination of skills and abilities to successfully manage a complex set of responsibilities in a high profile, academic health sciences organization, including:
- 10+ Years of professional experience, with at least five years of successfully leading, developing, and implementing evidence-based equity, diversity, and inclusion strategies, programs, and tools at large, complex organizations
- Regional (required) or national (preferred) visibility as thought leader and/or scholar in health equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Demonstrated accomplishments in inclusive excellence
- Ability to manage and influence change throughout the organization with effective relationship building skills across all levels
- Prior experience working with an executive leadership team
- Disciplined, data-oriented, analytical leader who possesses business intelligence that is equally as strong as their emotional intelligence. Strong ability to translate data into strategy and action plans
- Demonstrated track record of spirit of innovation, openness to experimentation, and trying new ideas to spark change
- Bachelor's degree in related area required
- Graduate level degree (Master's, Doctorate) in related area preferred; MDs welcome
- Experience in an academic health system is preferred
UCLA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: