Psychiatrist - NYC Correctional Health
Under the supervision of a Senior/Supervising Psychiatrist in the Division of Correctional Health Services, this position requires the provision of high quality, team-based psychiatric care, including psychotherapeutic and psychopharmacologic interventions, for individuals incarcerated in the New York City jail system. The psychiatric service strives to provide safe, holistic and evidence-based therapeutic interventions for the diverse range of mental health issues that face the population, from serious mental illness to the natural struggles that accompany incarceration. The service provides some of the most comprehensive and unique treatment modalities in the country, including specialty housing units ("mental observation units") for individuals with serious mental illness, a 24-hour on-call psychiatric service, robust creative arts programming, a strong DBT training program, outpatient-level clinics in each of the facilities, substance use treatment, integrated re-entry services, and relationships with multiple training institutions throughout the city. Each of the 12 facilities in the jail system has unique patient population and environmental characteristics; each psychiatrist will be matched with the population that most closely meets their clinical expertise and desired work location. Experience working in correctional settings is not required, however the ability to work closely and effectively with multiple other disciplines, including security staff, is critical.
- Provide psychiatric care, including admission evaluations, follow-ups, and urgent and emergent consultations to individuals enrolled in the mental health service
- Provide consultation to non-prescribing mental health staff and medical staff about diagnosis, treatment and/or the need for psychiatric medication
- Participate in team meetings with the treatment staff, on a daily basis if working on a mental observation unit and on a weekly basis if working in one of the clinics.
- Regularly participate in the creation of individual treatment plans for patients, and review plans already in place
- Evaluate patients for the need for a higher level of care, including hospitalization. If a patient is hospitalized, maintain contact with the hospital psychiatric staff to ensure continuity of care
- Document all activities in the electronic medical record in a timely, concise and clear manner
- Provide supervision as needed for psychiatric nurse practitioners
- Engage in weekly clinical supervision with psychiatric leadership
- Provide clinical supervision for psychiatric trainees (resident or fellow) as needed, including appropriate direct supervision and documentation of evaluation and feedback
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Psychiatrist or Mental Health Manager for the facility, Medical Director or Chief of Service for Psychiatry, or their respective designees
- Doctor of Medicine degree
- New York State License to practice medicine, in good standing
- Completion of a 4-yr U.S. accredited psychiatric residency program
- Board-certified or board-eligible in Psychiatry by the ABPN
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines, including DOC staff
- Excellent assessment, diagnostic and psychopharmacological treatment skills
- Strong clinical skills working with individuals with mental illness, including both individual and group psychotherapy
- Strong dedication to workplace mentorship, education and team-based care
- Experience working in a correctional setting
- Subspecialty training in child/adolescent, forensic, addiction, or public psychiatry preferred but not required
Apply for Psychiatrist - NYC Correctional Health
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly.
You do not need to create an account to apply for this job.
This application including your CV, if uploaded, will be sent directly to the employer.