Chief for the Division of General Medicine
The Wayne State University School of Medicine (WSU SOM) Department of Internal Medicine, seeks a Chief for the Division of General Medicine, faculty rank to be determined. The General Medicine program is a collaborative effort between WSU SOM and Wayne State University Physician Group (WSUPG). As a member of WSUPG, the physician will participate in the clinical activities of the division. As a faculty member of WSU SOM, the successful candidate will join the Department of Internal Medicine leadership team and be responsible for the following:
- Teach medical students, residents, and other trainees,
- Recruit new and energize/retain existing high caliber faculty, staff, and trainees in a manner consistent with the division’s core mission of education, research, and clinical care, with the ability to mentor and be a role model to ethnic minority and female students and colleagues,
- Develop and implement mentoring and career development plans for all new hires and current faculty,
- Demonstrate a firm commitment to fiscally sound management and prudent allocation of available resources as well as establish and monitor appropriate accountabilities for faculty, staff, and trainees,
- Negotiate the fiscal margin annually with the Chair of the Department of Internal Medicine and proactively seek entrepreneurial opportunities of the division,
- Be a role model for and mentor a highly diverse Division including male and female students, residents, and colleagues from ethnic and racial minorities.
- Develop a plan for allocation of new resources to develop a hypothesis-driven research program that is relevant to the local Detroit/Southeastern Michigan Region; and that will lead to substantive extramural funding.
- Work to promote the General Medicine Division as a leader in clinical care and continuing medical education through programs using venues that maximize exposure of our programs, faculty and expertise,
- Other duties as assigned.
Wayne State University (WSU) is a vibrant, public, urban research university located in the heart of Detroit where students from all backgrounds are offered a rich, high quality education. Our deep rooted commitment to excellence, collaboration, integrity, and diversity and inclusion creates exceptional educational opportunities that prepare students for success in a diverse, global society. WSU encourages applications from women, people of color, and other underrepresented minorities. WSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary commensurate with experience, as well as a competitive benefits package, will be offered.
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to M. Safwan Badr, MD, Professor and Chair, at: SBadr@med.wayne.edu; phone number: 313-745-8244.