Non-Interventional Pain Medicine - Hospital for Special Surgery - New York City
- As part of a physician-led team, provide comprehensive perioperative management of patients undergoing orthopedic surgery with acute and complex pain conditions including long-term opioid use or history of substance use disorder.
- As part of a multi-disciplinary team, perform pre-op and post-op consults for orthopedic surgical patients. Create treatment plans to appropriately manage these patients pre and postoperatively, including tapering off opioids and referral to psycho-social services if needed.
- As part of a multi-disciplinary team, conduct inpatient follow-up visits to manage prioperative analgesia for orthopedic surgical patients. Modalities include regional analgesia, IV PCA, Multi-modalAnalgesia, and Alternative Medicine.
- Counsel patients on pain management principles and expectations for perioperative care at HSS.
- Oversee the Management of Ketamine infusion patients.
- Oversee and manage a robust educational program for HSS prescribers. Educate physicians and staff on current issues and best practices related to pain management and controlled substance prescribing, including presentations to HSS Medical Staff, Grand Rounds lectures, in-services, and developing written material.
- Participate in Division research projects
- As part of a team, provide medical guidance regarding the institutional philosophy on opioid prescribing and the methods to eliminate over-prescribing.
- Spearhead the ongoing development of institutional and service-based best practices for controlled substance prescribing and management.
- Collaborate with HSS and outside legal counsel, corporate compliance and risk management teams to ensure HSS and its medical staff comply with appropriate federal, state and local prescribing rules, regulations and guidelines.
- As part of a team, develop institutional policies and guidelines related to perioperative pain management and controlled substance prescribing. Review existing clinical standards and revise as needed.
- Counsel surgeons and other prescribers to create action plans for the management of specific challenging patients as needed; be a confidential resource to surgeons and their teams; help surgeons develop a coherent framework for the assessment, care plan, and documentation of patients and their pain management needs.
- Monitor patient education programs on an ongoing basis. Ensure that patient education about pain management and controlled substance use is comprehensive and current.
- Adhere to the practice standards outlined by Hospital Administration and governing regulatory bodies.
- MD, licensed in New York State
- Residency in Psychiatry, Medicine, Neurology, or Physiatry
- Completion of an ACGME-accredited Pain Management, Addiction Medicine, or Palliative Care Fellowship
- Board Certified, with an additional Pain, Palliative, or Addiction Medicine cer
Apply for Non-Interventional Pain Medicine - Hospital for Special Surgery - New York City
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly.
You do not need to create an account to apply for this job.
This application including your CV, if uploaded, will be sent directly to the employer.