Vice Chair for Education, Department of Medicine University of Mississippi Medical Center
Vice Chair for Education, Department of Medicine
University of Mississippi Medical Center
The Department of Medicine at the University of Mississippi Medical Center is seeking an experienced physician to lead our educational mission. The department is searching for an individual with proven leadership skills, who will promote excellence in training, teaching, and educational scholarship. This executive position, which centers on the classical academic mission of education/teaching, includes leadership and guidance in supporting and directing each of our residency and subspecialty fellowship programs, as well as promotion and mentorship of residency, fellowship, and clerkship directors within the department.
Located in Jackson, MS, UMMC is the state's only academic health science center with the mission to improve the lives of Mississippians by educating tomorrow's health-care professionals, by conducting health sciences research, and by providing cutting edge patient care. A major goal of the Medical Center is the elimination of differences in health status of Mississippians based on race, geography, income, or social status.
The Vice Chair for Education will report to the Chair and have general oversight and executive managerial responsibility for all of the department's diverse educational programs, which include over 220 total trainees annually. The Vice Chair for Education is responsible for developing and articulating the department’s education mission, vision, shared values, and strategies. This includes providing departmental support, guidance and advice to:
- Director of Medical Student Education
- Vice Chair for Faculty Development
- Program Director, Internal Medicine Residency Program
- Program Director, Medicine-Pediatrics Residency Program
- Program Directors for the 14 subspecialty fellowship programs
- Clerkship Director(s): IMP 2, M-3, and M-4 courses
- Education administrative staff
The Vice Chair for Education will also be responsible in assisting the Vice Chairs for Clinical Affairs and Research with the integration of the departmental educational, clinical, and research missions.
- Faculty member in the Department of Medicine, rank of Associate Professor or above
- History of active leadership in an ACGME accredited Internal Medicine Residency or Subspecialty Fellowship Program for at least five years
- May be a Clerkship Director, Program Director (Residency or Fellowship), Director of Medical Student Education, or Vice Chair for Faculty Development
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to education, with excellent communication skills
- Willing and able to function at a high managerial level in a complex health care organization
Resources include competitive compensation and benefits, generous start-up package, strong support staff, and excellent career growth opportunities.
Interested candidates may send a CV and cover letter to:
Javed Butler, MD MPH MBA
University of Mississippi
Department of Medicine (L650)
2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216
Telephone #: 601-984-5600
Fax #: 601-984-5608
The University of Mississippi Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national origin, or ethnic origin, disabilities, either military or non-military related, veteran, or military status. Inquiries or complaints may be referred to the Director, Equal Employment Office, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216-4505.