Associate Division Chief – Clinical Affairs, Division of Hospital Medicine
Michigan Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, is seeking a board-certified candidate for a leadership role in the Division of Hospital Medicine as Associate Division Chief for Clinical Affairs. The Associate Division Chief will participate in the administrative and clinical operational activities of Hospital Medicine at Michigan Medicine and the VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System (VAAAHS). The Associate Division Chief will work closely with and report directly to the Division Chief of Hospital Medicine. This position includes dedicated and protected time for leadership and management duties within the Division of Hospital Medicine at Michigan Medicine.
The Associate Division Chief for Clinical Affairs fills a key operational and strategic role within the Division of Hospital Medicine. The candidate will oversee all service line directors and corresponding senior Divisional leadership (e.g., Clinical Service Chief, Director of Clinical Strategy). The candidate will help oversee recruitment and retention of clinical faculty, service line directors, and day-to-day operations such as clinical scheduling and clinical faculty evaluations. In addition, a focus on academic growth of clinical faculty through direct mentorship, coaching, and sponsorship are expected. The Associate Division Chief will be expected to work closely with the Division Chief to continue to identify opportunities to improve patient flow, fiscal performance, and provider engagement to improve and expand the footprint of Hospital Medicine at Michigan Medicine.
Participation in direct clinical care and teaching activities across the Division of Hospital Medicine is expected. These duties include teaching of residents and medical students on traditional general medicine wards, direct patient care on non-resident/direct-care services including those dedicated to unique patient populations (e.g., hematology/oncology, renal/transplant), and the medical short stay unit. An optimal blend of these duties will be determined based on the candidate’s interests and divisional needs.
Prior training and clinical leadership experience at a major academic medical center is required. Candidates must be at the rank of Associate Professor or higher. Excellent benefits and compensation package with guaranteed salary plus incentive bonuses. Relocation support as well as up to $50,000 in loan forgiveness for qualifying education loans will be provided.
- Oversee divisional leadership including service line directors, medical directors, service chief and clinical strategy lead.
- Participate in directing and evaluating operational and corporate functions of recruitment, retention, reimbursement and billing, information technology services, and infrastructure support as they relate to Hospital Medicine.
- Assist in developing and implementing Hospital Medicine standards focused on ensuring timely and efficient clinical care with appropriate allocation of resources.
- Translate strategy into actionable improvements to enhance operating margin, patient and staff satisfaction, access, and utilization.
- Guide and implement performance improvement in clinical quality measures and assurance of patient safety.
- Maintain existing, and develop novel strategies to improve core functions of hospital medicine including admission, discharge and transitions of care between inpatient, outpatient, and home care.
- Provide leadership for Hospital Medicine faculty through direct academic mentorship, coaching, and sponsorship of activities.
- Provide leadership for development, implementation, and evaluation of innovative clinical and academic programs and processes.
- Participate in the recruitment, mentoring, and performance review of Hospital Medicine faculty and directors.
- Lead divisional meetings and forums such as hospital medicine town-halls and divisional grand rounds.
- Maintain effective and collaborative relationships with the Department of Internal Medicine, Quality Management Program and Population Health, the Medical Staff, Nursing Administration, Hospital Leadership, and other constituencies of Michigan Medicine.
- Continue to ensure the growth and vitality of members of the Division of Hospital Medicine.
Note: This position is posted as a Clinical Assistant Professor/Clinical Associate Professor/Clinical Professor. Rank of selected candidate is dependent upon qualifications.
- MD or equivalent degree with a sustained record of clinical and academic accomplishment and at least 10 years of experience as a physician leader in a reputable academic health system.
- Ideal candidate must have evidence of scholarship (peer-reviewed papers), mentorship, and consistent achievement in clinical, teaching, quality, and/or research domains as evidenced by local, regional, national awards and honors.
- Eligible for a faculty appointment in the University of Michigan Medical School at the rank of Assistant Professor or higher.
- Should hold or have the ability to obtain the appropriate medical license in the State of Michigan as well as be board certified or board eligible.
- Considerable progressively responsible experience in health care delivery and a track record of effecting change in hospital medicine.
- Progressively responsible administrative experience in strategic planning that has led to innovative, high functioning, and growing clinical care in hospital medicine.
- Considerable prior direct oversight and management of hospitalist clinicians (physicians, advance practice providers and allied fields) within an academic medical center.
- Experience and knowledge in implementation to enhance outcomes related to care coordination, lean and quality improvement, information technology utilization.
- Sophistication and prior experience demonstrating a commitment to creating a culture that enhances employee and patient satisfaction.
- Strong knowledge of current regional, state, and federal policies governing health care delivery and planning.
- Considerable knowledge of modern management practices and methods.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations, and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research, and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally, and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education, and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Qualified applicants should apply to this posting by visiting this website:
and also send CV to:
Vineet Chopra, MD, MSc
Chief, Division of Hospital Medicine
Associate Professor of Medicine and Research Scientist
Co-Director, Patient Safety Enhancement Program
1500 East Medical Center Drive
UH South Unit 4, F4309
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5226
Or e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org