The Clinic for Special Children (CSC) is seeking an energetic and compassionate full-time Pediatrician, Pediatric Neurologist, or Pediatric Clinical/Biochemical Geneticist to join our clinical team. CSC was founded in 1989 as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization to provide medical, laboratory, and research services to children with genetic disease, primarily in the medically underserved and largely uninsured Amish and Mennonite communities of Lancaster County. Over the past 29 years, the Clinic has pioneered innovative treatments for many disorders including maple syrup urine disease (MSUD), glutaric acidemia type 1 (GA-1), and spinal muscular atrophy (SMA.) CSC clinicians care for more than 1,100 active patients with over 225 known genetic disorders and work closely with an integrated, on-site CLIA-certified laboratory that can perform various biochemical and genetic assays including SNP microarrays, amino acid quantitation, and exome sequencing data analysis. CSC staff members participate in a rigorous, patient-centered clinical and molecular research and have co-authored more than 100 peer-reviewed articles in top international biomedical journals. Please visit: www.clinicforspecialchildren.org for more information.
This is a unique opportunity to join a dedicated team working at the cutting edge of genomic medicine while providing services to people with special medical, financial, and social needs. Candidates must hold an MD or DO degree and be board certified/eligible in pediatrics or Med-Peds. A fellowship in neurology or clinical genetics is preferred but not required. The ideal candidate would be interested in providing care to complex pediatric patients with multi-system disorders, conducting clinical research, investigating rare disorders, and providing services to a medically underserved population. CSC offers a competitive salary and generous benefits. A full job description is below.
The Clinic for Special Children is located approximately 65 miles west of Philadelphia in Lancaster County. Lancaster County offers excellent public and private schools, a low cost of living, vibrant urban and rural communities, and easy access to many major East coast cities such as Baltimore, New York City, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia.
Position Title: Pediatrician, Pediatric Neurologist, or Pediatric Clinical Geneticist
Department: Clinical Services
Reports to: Medical Director
FLSA Status:Salaried, exempt
Nature of Job
Provides medical services to CSC patients as part of a clinical team under the direction of the Medical Director. The Pediatrician will evaluate new and established patients, determine diagnoses, design and provide treatment and care plans, serve as the attending physician for inpatient admissions at Lancaster General Hospital, prescribe medication, carefully document patient data in electronic medical records, and participate in a 24/7 call schedule. Participates in the Clinic’s research agenda by helping to design, lead, execute, and author research studies.
- MD or DO degree with residency in pediatrics
- Board certified/eligible in pediatrics or med-peds
- Neurology or clinical genetics fellowship preferred
- Maintain active PALS certification, PA State licensure, DEA licensure, ABP certification
- Experience providing care for patients with complex, multi-system disorders
- Knowledge of genetics, metabolism, and biochemistry
- Proficiency in communication skills, oral and written
- Experience designing and executing clinical research studies
- Commitment to Clinic for Special Children’s values and patient service
- Willingness to learn and adapt to new situations
- Proficiency in office suite, e-mail, and scheduling software
- In association with the full clinical team, assume primary responsibility for the clinical evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of CSC patients. Review imaging reports, laboratory data, and consultation letters in a timely manner.
- Accurately record patient charges and fees.
- Document clinical encounters in a complete, informative, and timely manner.
- Supervise directly reporting supporting clinical staff (i.e. nurses, mid-level providers).
- Work closely with laboratory staff to execute research and clinical plans.
- Ensure important clinical information is accurately communicated to internal and external care providers.
- Maintain active status as physician in good standing at Lancaster General Hospital and serve as the attending physician for inpatient admissions.
- Serve as part of a 24/7 clinical call rotation and periodically act as backup for mid-level providers on call.
- Participate in patient focused research agenda by helping to design, lead, execute, and author research studies. Follow standard IRB policies and research procedures. Ensure proper consenting of participants.
- Accrue a minimum of 50 Category 1 CME credits annually.
- Contribute to educational activities by presenting at CSC sponsored CME courses, contributing to patient education materials, and mentoring rotating students and fellows.
- Other duties as needed and assigned by supervisor.