VA Long Beach Healthcare System
Hospitalist/Nocturnist Position for Inpatient Medical Service
The Hospitalist in Medicine & Inpatient Health Care Group (HCG) is responsible for the medical care provided to Veterans as inpatients at VA Long Beach Healthcare System (VALBHCS). When applicable, the position ensures that appropriate supervision is provided to the internal medicine residents, medical students, and other trainees rotating on inpatient services. The Hospitalist reports to the Chief of Medical HCG and maintains an appointment with the affiliated medical school, University of California Irvine.
Pay commensurate with community (approximately range per VA pay scales $200-240,000) with recruitment incentive and relocation reimbursement. Anticipated tour of duty, 7am-7pm, 7days on/off. Generous vacation, holiday, and sick/family/medical leave per VA handbook.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Training, experience, licensure, and certification.
- Requisite qualifications for internal medicine coverage in a complex tertiary care facility are required
FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Admitting physician duties on 12-hour overnight (7pm-7am) shifts as Nocturnist. May work as day hospitalists appropriate to staffing needs.
- Cross-cover duties for medical service (64 patients maximum) and ICU with intensive care physician back-up as needed.
- Maintains facility mandatory requirements in education and compliance.
- Ensures accurate medical record documentation
Negotiable upon appointment depending upon duties, funded research, and educational role.
SUPERVISION AND GUIDANCE:
Direct report is to the Chief, Medicine & Inpatient HCG. Hospitalist works with some independence, assuming responsibility for a full range of medical care, which is periodically reviewed by the supervisor. On the basis of education and experience, works without supervision, and assumes the obligation of proper treatment and coordination of care in an acute Medicine & Inpatient HCG.