Chair of Medicine
Chair of Medicine
Baystate Health/University of Massachusetts Medical School-Baystate Health
Chair of Medicine of Baystate Health; and by appointment of the Dean of The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS), Chair of the Department of the Department of Medicine of UMMS-Baystate.
The Chair of Medicine will provide innovative strategic and operational leadership towards organizational goals for innovative, cutting-edge medicine and translational research programs that advance patient care and scholarly activity. The Chair has strategic and fiscal oversight for the clinical, research, and education agendas and programs within the Department. The Chair actively supports and promotes patient safety, continuous performance, and quality improvement, risk management, and efficient resource utilization linked to evidence-based medicine. The Chair of Medicine has responsibility and accountability for the clinical and academic performance of all divisions within the Department. It is anticipated that the Chair of Medicine will maintain a clinical footprint in his or her area of specialty, with a majority allocation for administrative responsibilities. It is also anticipated that the Chair will participate in academic activities consistent with his or her academic appointment at UMMS.
- A minimum of 10-15 years of post-graduate clinical experience in the field of medicine, gained within a major teaching hospital or the academic medical center environment.
- Five or more years of successful and progressive leadership experience in a Medical Director, Division Chief, Associate Chair, or Chair role.
- A track record of scholarly activity, academic accomplishments, and professional service in medicine as required for academic appointment at the Associate Professor or Professor level at UMMS.
- Experience developing academic leaders and a reputation for mentorship and development of junior faculty. Demonstrated ability to identify and recruit a diverse medical staff at all levels.
- Demonstrated managerial and business acumen. Experience in and demonstrated knowledge of the complex financial pressures facing health systems and health care delivery organizations today.
- An MD or MD/PhD degree is required. Must have or be eligible for Massachusetts state medical licensure.
Baystate Health is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated healthcare systems, serving a population of nearly one million in Western Massachusetts. This dynamic and growing $2 billion, the five-hospital health system is anchored by a 716-bed academic medical center, Baystate Medical Center. For many years, Baystate Medical Center has held a successful academic partnership with the Tufts University School of Medicine, serving as its Western campus and a major teaching site for third and fourth-year medical students. In June 2015, Baystate Health announced a new partnership with The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS), with plans to open a regional clinical campus in Springfield to be known as UMMS-Baystate Health. Baystate’s primary academic affiliation will shift to UMMS effective in the 2017-2018 academic year. UMMS, one of the fastest-growing research institutions in the country, is a world-class institution that was ranked #5 as one of the leading medical schools in the nation for primary care education by U.S. News & World Report. The institution ranks near the top among public medical schools in the Northeast in the amount of funding awarded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
The Department of Medicine consists of 13 subspecialty divisions comprising over 200 faculty physicians, nearly 50 advanced practitioners, and over 130 trainees. Faculty and residents are actively pursuing medical research that is transforming the way in which healthcare is delivered.
Please forward resume or referrals (e-mail preferred) to:
About Phillips DiPisa
Phillips DiPisa is a retained executive search firm serving the healthcare and life sciences industries. Ranked as one of the top healthcare recruiting firms in the country, Phillips DiPisa is known for being Leaders in Recruiting Leaders by its growing base of clients across the country, drawing on a national pool of candidates.